Tuesday 19 January 2016

The Thin Green Line

The Thin Green Line

In my last post I said that I would explain the use of the multiple waterlines. Firstly, why are they green? Because I like them green, as soon as I see a green line I know it's a waterline.

Why are there so many? Because we will use them to develop the 3D shape of our boat along with other reference lines.

So far we have our midsection, bow transom and stern transom. The thing that joins these entities is the water line, By transferring the location of the LWL on these three sections we can start to develop the shape.

First we draw in several waterlines. I will explain further later.


Next we locate the point of contact in plan of the LWL and the three sections thusly, note the red circles,

and join the points with a fair curve, very easy on the computer.


Then we do the very same thing for each of the other waterlines like this,

Until we have this,

You can deduce from what we have just done the reason for the many waterlines.

Now we can go back and construct the other sections using the waterlines we have just created.




No comments:

Post a Comment